Monday, February 1, 2010

Stress, Stress and More Stress

Years of pain, suffering, and eventually, total disability forced me to seek alternative health care.  Conventional medicine seemed to be creating more problems for me than it was solving.   While I never expected to find a cure for my health problems, I did have hopes of reducing my level of pain without using the recommended anti-seizure medications.  I was also hopeful that my quality of life, which was reduced to merely existing, might improve.

One consultation with a very special compounding pharmacist, Baylor Rice, at his Wellness Center in Midlothian, VA would turn my hopes into reality.  After reviewing my medical records and blood test (which I brought with me), he patiently listened to my assessment of my situation.  For the first time I really believed someone understood what I was feeling.  He explained in layman’s terms exactly what was happening in my body and why.  He also recommended specific herbal supplements to support my internal systems, which were being bombarded by the stress of my chronic illness and life.


We all suffer from stress and the damaging effect that stress can have on our immune system and our overall health is well documented.  Add to that the stress of a chronic illness and you’ve got the perfect storm for disease.  That was the battle my body was fighting and losing.  Despite the relatively “normal” numbers indicated on my thyroid test, Baylor was sure that my thyroid was under-active.  He suggested that I first try a herbal supplement (T-100, later upgraded to T-150 both made by Dynamic Nutritional Associates - DNA Labs ) before considering a prescription for the natural thyroid medication, Armour Thyroid.  This rang a bell for me – For years I believed that I suffered from an under-active thyroid, but my doctors were all too satisfied with my “sluggish” borderline numbers.  I had recently devoured a book, entitled “What Your Doctor’s May Not Tell You About Hypothyroidism” by Ken Blanchard and Marietta Abrams Brill (see Amazon book link to the left).  Baylor’s assessment was very much in line with this book and my reality. 

He also indicated that I was suffering from adrenal exhaustion and recommended a prescription grade herbal supplement, Adreset by Metagenics.   I left his office feeling hopeful, though broke!  I had supplements for thyroid support, adrenal support, flora support (good bacteria for digestion), Meta Fiber, and Ultra InflamX (a powdered medical food that provides nutritional support and helps reduce inflammation), both by Metagenics.  But the biggest surprise was the elimination diet that I was to go on to cleanse my body and determine which foods I was allergic to.

No comments: