Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What Will I Eat Now?

There are no recipe books for people who can’t eat anything normal!  So I’ve spent many hours searching for ideas and foods that I could add to my very limited diet.  My basic diet includes fish (with scales and fins, no shell fish or scavengers), rice (preferably brown), sweet potato, olive oil, rice milk (West Soy and Whole Foods 365 brands are the only two I've found that do not contain soy!), most vegetables, red bell peppers, most fruits (but no oranges, strawberries, grapes, or pineapple), beans and water.  I can’t have garlic, onions, most sweet peppers, sugar, corn, or black pepper which presents a tremendous challenge in making anything taste good.  Interestingly, I can eat any type of hot peppers and I can also use white pepper.  Unlike black peppercorns, white peppercorns are allowed to fully ripen before it's picked, which results in a milder flavor. 


It took a lot of experimenting, and many failures, but I’ve finally come up with recipes that those who can and do eat anything they want enjoy as well.  Ume Plum Vinegar (Asian) my substitute for balsamic vinegar, Herbes de Provence (French blend of herbs, including lavender), celery, red peppers and olive oil have become my favorite basic seasonings.  I’ve also found a delicious 100% Cherry Wine (Good Harbor brand) and it doesn’t taste like a sweet dessert wine.  It’s as close as you’ll get to a red wine without grapes!  It’s made and bottled in Michigan and is costs about $7-8/bottle.

It has taken a lot of effort and determination, but I have found a way to eat tasty food without making myself sick. One might think that with my limited, though healthy diet I must really be fit and trim.   Well, think again!  My food is generally so tasty that I’ve managed to gain and maintain an extra 20 pounds that I would love to lose!

No comments: