Saturday, May 22, 2010

Shrimp Fra Diavolo

Immediately I began making plans for the return of my all time favorite meal - Shrimp Fra Diavolo, a spicy shrimp and pasta dish! Perhaps I was a bit too optimistic in introducing two new items – shrimp and garlic! Rethinking this plan, I decided to just try the shrimp alone – pain and indigestion can be a miserable combination. My normal reaction to shrimp was rather severe -- an unusual migraine headache that feels like a dagger entering through the left side of my skull and piercing through my right eyeball. This pain could last from hours to weeks, and was the one pain that could put me in bed. But after my success with tomatoes, I just had to take the chance. To my surprise, the only reaction was a sore spot on my skull where the dagger normally entered. After my experience with the tomatoes, I believed that even this would improve in time, so I would limit my intake of shrimp to once a month for now.

Today, seven months after starting i26, I can not only eat shrimp and tomatoes without any reaction at all, but I can also have garlic powder (hopefully fresh garlic will be okay in the near future), and red grapes, which used to make me itch! The green grapes still make me itch, but I can live with just the red ones! Over the next few months I will reintroduce a number of other restricted food items in hopes that at least some of them can be returned to my diet.
This is just one of the reasons I get so excited about i26. It has really given me back my life and that’s more than I ever thought was possible. Yet, it’s not just about the food, which is clearly important, but I just feel so much healthier. And I have enough energy to do the things I want and need to do. James Brown said it best “I feel good!”

My doctor continues to be amazed with how well I’m doing and although I haven’t told her about the i26 yet, she has noted an improvement in my kidney and liver function, blood pressure, and respiratory function. I’ll have to tell her about i26 on my next visit.

Interestingly, when I first started looking seriously into alternatives to traditional medicine, she was a little, wary; but unable to offer any other positive solutions, she cautiously supported my efforts. Each time I see her, she is pleased and surprised with my progress and tells me to keep doing what I’m doing. I certainly will!

No comments: